Today was spent in celebration with a Mother’s Day Eve cookout in honor of my mother and sisters. Those in attendance were my parents, my sisters, our husbands and 7 grandchildren. We decided to share the responsibility of food so that each of us only brought a few things to make it easier on all of us. We had more than enough food and had a great day of sun and fun, food and fellowship.
I decided to make three items for the day’s menu: 1) Cajun Shrimp 2) Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms 3) Rosemary Potatoes and will share the recipes here.
Cajun Shrimp Ingredients:
- 2 lbs shrimp (16/20 cooked peeled and deveined)
- 1 stick butter
- Cajun Seasoning (I prefer Ragin’ Cajun Famous cajun seasoning)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use aluminum foil to line a cookie sheet.
2) Melt the stick of butter in the oven on the foil-lined cookie sheet. Slice lemons thin and lay them on melted butter. Lay shrimp on top of butter and lemons. Sprinkle the top of shrimp with the cajun seasoning to desired taste.
3) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, until light golden brown.
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms Ingredients:
- 24 large mushrooms suitable for stuffing
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion
4 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp parsley
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use foil to line a cookie sheet for easier clean up.
2) Remove stems from all mushrooms and use measuring tsp. to remove more for easier stuffing. Save mushroom stems and discard rest of scrapings. Set mushrooms and stems aside.
3) Dice onion and mushroom stems in chopper or processer.
4) Heat a skillet over medium-high heat cooking hot sausage, diced onions and mushroom stems until sausage is browned and cooked through.
5) Add 3 ounces of the Parmesan cheese, the bread crumbs, garlic, and parsley to the skillet. Continue to cook, stirring until heated through (only takes about 5 min).
6) Now it’s time to stuff each mushroom cap with your sausage mixture.
7) Place each stuffed mushroom on a baking sheet and bake them in your preheated oven for 12 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of your Parmesan cheese (1 oz) over mushrooms and put back in the oven to bake another 3 min.
Rosemary Potatoes Ingredients:
- 5 – 6 golden potatoes (washed and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- rosemary lemon spice (which I found on oprah.com)
- minced onions
- grated parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Place potato chunks in a shallow glass baking pan and pour olive oil over potatoes. Sprinkle with spice mix to desired taste (I use about 1 tbsp.) and sprinkle with minced onions (I use about 2 tbsp.) Stir and place in oven.
3) Bake for 30 min. stirring occasionally.
4) Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and return to oven for 10 min or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Thanks to my mother-in-law for the inspiration for this recipe adapted from one of hers.
Hope you are able to try one or all of these yourself. Please let me know how they turn out when you do.