Spider School by Francesca Simon
Description from Amazon:
Because Kate got out on the wrong side of the bed, her first day at a new school proves to be a real nightmare with a gorilla for a teacher and spiders for lunch.
Literary Skills that can be taught with the book Spider School?
– What could occur at the first day of school since Kate got up on the wrong side of the bed?
– What kind of school would be called a spider school?
– What would make Kate not want to go to school the first day?
– What can you infer about the school based on first impressions?
– What do the ac4ons of the other students in Class 3 tell you about them? – What can you infer based on the student’s facial expressions?
– Write a timeline of Kate’s day events.
– How did Kate empower the other children to find their voice?
– Where did the vision of the spider school come from?
– What figurative language is used with the words clunk-clunk?
– The school looked like a dungeon is an example of what?
Compare and Contrast
– Compare and contrast the spider school with a real school.
– Compare and contrast the first school experience with the second. Create a chart for each.
– Write about your first day of school.
– Tell your first day of school but create an opposite for each event like Kate’s wrong side of the bed.
– Do you think Kate was dreaming? What evidence do you have to support your answer?
Want more? There is more and can be found on the resource at TpT.
Follow this blog and my TpT store for more great picture books to teach to secondary students.