The Bremen-town Musicians Retold from Grimm by Ruth Belov Gross
Description from Amazon:
A retelling of the Grimm tale in which an old donkey, dog, cat, and rooster, no longer wanted by their masters, set out for Bremen to become musicians.
Literary Skills that can be taught with the book The Bremen-town Musicians?
Cause and Effect
– What caused the horse to leave to be a musician? The dog? The cat? The rooster? What effect did the animals have on the robbers?
– How did the animals know the men in the house were robbers? Why did the robber lie about what happened at the house? Do you think he was he thought he was telling the truth?
– What would have happened if the animals had made it to Bremen-town?
– How does the robbers story of what happened at the house compare/contrast to what really happened? How does this version compare to the real Grimm version?
– What makes this story a folktale?
Want more? There is more and can be found on the resource at TpT.
Follow this blog and my TpT store for more great picture books to teach to secondary students.